From your Librarian
This is a library assignment guide for the bioethics paper for your MED 1130 class. The tabs on this guide will help you find reliable resources for this assignment - articles, books, websites, or videos. If you need help you can access a librarian by clicking on the Contact Us tab, or chat live with a librarian by using the blue ASK US button on the far right.
MED 1130 Assignment for Professor Janette Rodriguez
For the Medical Ethics in Healthcare paper for this class, each student will:
- Write a short paper about a topic in bioethics
- Pick a topic from the suggested Ethical Dilemmas list below. The topic must be approved by the Professor and each student should choose a different topic.
- Start the paper by writing an opening statement on why you chose the topic.
- Then state your opinion and support it by using three credible references of real cases scenarios that can be in found in literature (such as library databses or other journals) or on the internet. You can include a video link (such as You Tube) in the paper if it is relevant & reliable.
The paper must be formatted using APA style, and have at least 3 APA references. Refer to the checklist for grading criteria. The paper is worth 10% of your course grade..
Ethical Dilemmas - Suggested Topics to Choose From
1-For and against euthanasia. This research paper can explore the issue of anti-mercy killing for patients who are terminally ill.
2-Argument for or against cloning. There are many argument out there as to whether cloning is good or it is tantamount to taking the role of God.
3-Argument against suicide. This is one of the best topics for argumentative research paper that explore the role of euthanasia and whether a person has a right to die.
4-Research on embryonic stem cell. This is a research paper whose goal is to examine the decision by governments on this area of research and look at the issues that are involved.
5-Children immunization. This topic should discuss the childhood immunization in regard to economics as well as how well prepared the public health system is on giving the necessary vaccines to all the needy cases.
6-Negative effects of mammography. There are reports indicating that mammography comes with some negative aspects.
7-Iatrogenic harm. This is a term that is commonly used in the medical field referring to a situation where a caregiver harm the person they are caring for in the course of providing the intervention.
8-Partial-birth abortion. This is one of the controversial issues on abortion.
9-Sexual preference and prenatal hormones. The study of the prenatal hormone in attraction and sexual preference is also worth looking into.
10. What is cloning.
11.Care at the end of life: Should advance directives by the patient be obeyed or those of relatives.
12. Abortion: Does the mother have a right over the fetus? When does life begin? Should doctors terminate pregnancies if they detect a defect?
13. Prenatal Genetic Testing: What should be the next step if scans reveal that your child has a defect? What should you do if you are a genetic defect carrier?
14. Birth control: Should minors have access to birth control information and substances? What is the best age to introduce birth control substances and measures?
15. Embryonic Harvesting: Should embryonic stem cells be harvested for disease treatment purposes?
16. Organ donation: Must the organ come from a relative? Should organs be harvested from dead people?
17. Personal Health Information: Who should be allowed to access your personal health information?
18. Rights of Patients: Can a patient refuse to receive treatment?
19. Informing the family: Should a doctor or physician withhold sensitive information about your health from the family?
20. Doctor’s Pay- Do health practitioners enrich themselves from the misfortunes of their patients?