SCI 242 Bioethics - Information Literacy Learning Outcome
Having obtained appropriate data sources, students will articulate strengths of said sources while acknowledging and identifying bias.
Key concepts: evaluating sources, identifying bias
Some Searching Tips
Use this acronym to evaluate sources:
• Source (Creator): Who are the authors of the article/website? In the case of a website, look at the domain name as well as the authors of the content.
• Currency (Date): How recent is the article/website? For a website, when was it last updated?
• Objectivity (No Bias): Does the article/website include all angles of a situation or is it being very one sided?
• Purpose (Goal): For what reason or intention was this article/website created? The “About Us” tab in a website will tell more about its mission.
• Accuracy (Facts): Is the information stated based on facts? Does the article/website list the sources of the information? Can you contact the creator of the website you want to cite?