Psychological Disorders Information Literacy Assignment
* Refer to Professor Jenkins' instructions
Prepare a 10 minute presentation on a psychological disorder. Your presentation must discuss each of the following areas:
1. Define and describe the disorder
2. Identify the populations most susceptible to the disorder (i.e., who gets it?)
3. Identify common symptoms of the disorder
4. Identify common complications of the disorder (i.e., how the disorder affects one’s life)
5. Identify treatments for the disorder, including types of therapy (e.g., medical therapy (drugs), cognitive therapy, behavioral therapy, CBT) and how effective these therapies may be at treating the disorder. (See Chapter 14 for an in depth discussion of these and other therapies)
6. Identify prognosis for the disorder (i.e., will the person be able to lead a “normal” life?)
You must use at least two outside sources found in Blackboard under the “Library” tab. Please see the resources listed in the Course Information Folder for some very good tips on evaluating websites for quality. You must submit an APA style reference page on the day of your presentation.
You will be assigned of the following disorders to research and discuss:
• Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Panic Disorder
• Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Seasonal Affective Disorder, Dysthymic Disorder
• Antisocial Personality Disorder, Dissociative Identity Disorder
• Please consult Chapter 13 in your textbook for complete descriptions of these and other disorders.
Or you may do it this way:
For this assignment, you are to pretend to be a clinical psychologist and you have a patient who would like to learn more about their disorder on the Internet. In order to help, you want to search the Internet for useful sites and then write a report to your patient.
This assignment has several parts-
1. Create a patient with a specific disorder. The disorder may be one that was discussed in class, mentioned in the text, or a disorder that interests you.
2. Search the Berkeley e-library for three sources to help your patient with treatment/prevention, and one source to help describe the person’s disorder.
3. Evaluate and determine the usefulness of each source/site paying attention to the following-
What has each site taught you about the disorder?
Was the information understandable?
Was the writing and language clear?
Were there useful links?
Could the site be contacted for questions?
Was the site biased to any particular method of treatment?
Did the site compare treatments?
4. Suggest a treatment plan or course of action to your patient.
When writing your paper keep the following in mind-
Introduce your patient and describe the disorder.
Evaluate each source/site to help your patient make an informed decision.
Provide the names of each article, source, or website, their internet addresses or bibliography.
Suggest a treatment plan for your patient.
The paper should be 3 pages, double spaced.
Citation machine This web site will format the citation for you! Just put in the elements of the citation and it will put it in the correct format.