This is the "Transferability" page of the "Online Veterans Resource Center" guide.
Alternate Page for Screenreader Users
Skip to Page Navigation
Skip to Page Content

Online Veterans Resource Center  

A Guide to Military and Veterans Affairs at Berkeley College and beyond.
Last Updated: Mar 6, 2017 URL: Print Guide RSS UpdatesEmail Alerts

Transferability Print Page


Chapter 33 benefits may be transfered to your spouse and/or dependent if you meet certain qualifying criteria.

Eligible Individuals:

Any member of the Armed Forces (active duty or Selected Reserve, officer or enlisted) on or after August 1, 2009, who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, and

-Has at least 6 years of service in the Armed Forces on the date of election and agrees to serve 4 additional years in the Armed Forces from the date of election.

-Has at least 10 years of service in the Armed Forces (active duty and/or selected reserve) on the date of election, is precluded by either standard policy (service or DoD) or statute from committing to 4 additional years, and agrees to serve for the maximum amount of time allowed by such policy or statute


Department of Defense


Steps to Transfer Benefits

Steps to Transfer Benefits:

1) Apply through DOD at Transferability of Educational Benefits (TEB) website, located at

2) Once your transfer request is approved, your request data is sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). Each family member must first apply for a certificate of eligibility from the DVA before they can use their transferred benefits. Once the DVA receives the request data and VA Form 22-1990E, they will be able to process your family members’ requests to use their benefits. The application for the certificate of eligibility (VA Form 22- 1990E) can be found through the Department of Veterans Affairs’ VONAPP Web Site ( You can call the DVA for Education Benefits information at 1-888-GIBILL1.

3) After receiving their certificates of eligibility from the DVA, your family members must provide the certificates to the school.

4) If your family members do not receive their certificates of eligibility from the DVA before they enroll in school, they should ask the veterans’ certifying official at the school to submit to the DVA an enrollment certification for the academic term.


Tuition funds will be sent direct from the DVA to the school. Children using months of transferred benefit will receive the monthly living stipend and the books and supplies stipend. A spouse using a transferred benefit will only receive the monthly living stipend. A spouse may also be eligible for the books and supplies stipend if he/she uses the benefit after you separate from active duty.

Spouses of active duty service members are not eligible for Yellow Ribbon.



All applications will be submitted through the Transferability of Educational Benefits (TEB) website, located at .  Service members will be able to securely access this site with a Common Access Card, a DoD Self Service User ID, or a DFAS PIN.  Currently this application may be accessed only with Internet Explorer.

Apply Here


Loading  Loading...