This is the "Spouses and Dependents" page of the "Online Veterans Resource Center" guide.
Alternate Page for Screenreader Users
Skip to Page Navigation
Skip to Page Content

Online Veterans Resource Center  

A Guide to Military and Veterans Affairs at Berkeley College and beyond.
Last Updated: Mar 6, 2017 URL: Print Guide RSS UpdatesEmail Alerts

Spouses and Dependents Print Page

Chapter 35 GI Bill Benefits

The Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.


Chapter 35 Payment Rates






Fry Scholarship

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) pays eligible dependents up to 36 months of the full, 100% level, of the Post-9/11 GI Bill. This includes the tuition and fee payment, a monthly housing allowance, and a books and supplies stipend. For more information on payment rates click here.

Currently the Fry Scholarship is only available for children of Servicemembers who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. For more information click here.

Effective January 1, 2015 the Fry Scholarship will be expanded to surviving spouses of military personnel who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001


Comparision Chart


Transfer of Benefits

Chapter 33 benefits may be transfered to your spouse and/or dependent if you meet certain qualifying criteria.

Eligible Individuals:

Any member of the Armed Forces (active duty or Selected Reserve, officer or enlisted) on or after August 1, 2009, who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, and

-Has at least 6 years of service in the Armed Forces on the date of election and agrees to serve 4 additional years in the Armed Forces from the date of election.

-Has at least 10 years of service in the Armed Forces (active duty and/or selected reserve) on the date of election, is precluded by either standard policy (service or DoD) or statute from committing to 4 additional years, and agrees to serve for the maximum amount of time allowed by such policy or statute

All applications will be submitted through the Transferability of Educational Benefits (TEB) website, located at .  Service members will be able to securely access this site with a Common Access Card, a DoD Self Service User ID, or a DFAS PIN.  Currently this application may be accessed only with Internet Explorer.



The Department of Defense offers financial assistance for education, training and/or occupational license and credentials to eligible spouses and/or dependents of service members serving on active duty Title 10 orders in the paygrades of E1-E5, O1-O2, or W1-W2. For more information see


Loading  Loading...