From Your Librarian
This guide was created to help you through the research process for your ENG 106 course. Please view all the tabs as they will help you find information through databases and the online library catalog. Please read the description of the assignment before moving on to the other tabs.
Mini Anthology Research Project
Create your own mini-anthology by choosing a combination of 4 reading selections (poems, short stories, plays, a novel) of your choice. An anthology is a collection of literary selections. Your project will discuss and analyze your four (4) chosen selections. You are creating your own “mini book”.
You will be writing a paper that follows the format listed in #2. You are not actually creating the physical book. You are writing about the four selections of your choice and why you chose them and how do they relate to the theme of your mini anthology.(Love, Learning, or Madness)
- Choose two short stories, two poems and/or one novel or a combination—works that share a particular theme or are by the same author. (for example: 2 poems and 2 short stories OR 3 short stories and 1 poem OR 3 poems and 1 short story OR 2 short stories, 1 poem and 1 novel)You may not use one of the authors we have read for this course. Your mini anthology will contain/discuss four (4) selections in all.
- Your paper will be made up of the following:
· An introduction of 1-2 pages, explaining why you chose these works and what makes your anthology special. You might want to target a particular audience (i.e. college students, nature, lovers, musicians, etc.) Make sure you mention the titles and authors of each of the works chosen for your mini anthology in the introduction paragraph(s). DO NOT SUMMARIZE THE CHOSEN SELECTIONS. Assume that your audience has read the selections chosen.
· Determine a theme for your mini anthology.(Love, Learning,or Madness)
· A longer analytic essay of about 3-5 pages, in which you interpret the works, discuss how they connect, and incorporate some relevant outside research using MLA format guidelines. In text citations required for each source used in paper as well as a Works Cited page.
· Create an appropriate original title for your mini anthology.
· Include a Works Cited page(lists your chosen short stories, poems and/or novel since you will refer to these sources in your essay)
· Do not include any graphics (pictures) in this assignment.
· DO NOT SUMMARIZE THE SHORT STORIES, POEMS AND OR NOVEL.
- The research project is due Week 10 Monday 11:59pm using the Safe Assign link provided. This paper will be submitted as one document.
- During Week 4 one of the Library staff will present a workshop on the Discussion Board to help you with information about MLA format, using Research Databases as well as creating your mini anthology research project. Starting with the Week 6 Discussion Board, an additional DB thread (along with the weekly DB) will be used as a place for you to ask/discuss this research project. This DB is ungraded and your participation is optional. Ask as many questions as you need to in order to create your mini anthology.
- I will be asking you to present your mini anthology on the DB in parts each week. We will share our choices and themes on the DB.